The submission period for Queerstory has closed and we are no longer accepting scripts. Please check back here often for news on our next production. Thank you!
As the title says, with Queerstory we intend to delve into some of the compelling and little-known people and events that are part of the journey that has shaped the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage stories that have not had mainstream media attention, and stories from the broader LGBTQ+ and BIPOC communities.
Queerstory will comprise six or seven plays which will be read on Monday, November 9, 2020, with the goal of mounting a full production in 2021.
We want to see your scripts!
But we do have rules. Submissions must adhere to the following requirements in order to be read and considered for inclusion in Queerstory. Please also refer to the sample script below for further reference.
- Play must not have been previously produced in the Bay Area
- Plot must concern little-known, unknown or forgotten people or events in LGBTQ+ history
- No more than four (4) characters
- Simple and minimal set pieces and props
- No more than 15 pages, or the equivalent of 10-15 minutes in length. Please do not submit longer scripts – they will not be read
Submission Format Requirements:
- Scripts must be submitted in the following format (A template in MS Word is attached as well.)
- 1” margins on all sides
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 pt
- Stage directions in parentheses and indented 2.5” from the left and 1” from the right
- Character names indented 3” from the left
- Dialogue is not indented either on the left or the right
- Include complete contact information on the front page as noted. This will allow us to notify you whether your play has been selected
- Include a one-paragraph synopsis of the plot of the play as shown in the template
Queerstory is a development project. The script you submit should be the one you want performed at the reading, but the playwrights selected will have the opportunity to do some rewriting before the final production.
There is no limit on the number of scripts any one playwright may submit; however, each script must be submitted separately
DEADLINE: Email submissions to email@example.com by Tuesday, September 8, 2020. We will notify all playwrights of the results by October 3, 2020.